Because the Russia-Ukraine conflict enters its 324th day, we check out the primary developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Friday, January 13, 2023:
- Russia mentioned its forces have been edging nearer to capturing Soledar, a salt-mining city in japanese Ukraine.
- A Russian-installed official in Ukraine’s japanese Donetsk area mentioned “pockets of resistance” stay in Soledar.
- Russia appointed Valery Gerasimov as its general commander of forces for the conflict in Ukraine. Gerasimov performed key roles in Russia’s seizure of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and in Moscow’s navy help for President Bashar al-Assad in Syria’s conflict.
- Russia might elevate the higher age restrict for residents to be conscripted into the armed forces as quickly as this spring as a part of Moscow’s plans to spice up the variety of Russian troops by 30 p.c.
- Greater than a dozen senior European Union officers will go to Kyiv on February 2 to fulfill members of the Ukrainian authorities.
- A delegation headed by the commander of Russia’s floor forces, Oleg Salyukov, visited Belarus to examine the fight readiness of a joint pressure stationed there.
- Ukraine expressed its disappointment in indicators that the brand new Israeli authorities could set up nearer ties with Russia.
- A spokesperson for Russia’s overseas ministry questioned whether or not Sweden has “one thing to cover” over blasts alongside the Nord Stream gasoline pipelines final September.
- Russian Human Rights Commissioner Tatiana Moskalkova mentioned Moscow and Kyiv have been keen on future contacts between their rights commissioners.
- Automobile gross sales in Russia fell by 58.8 p.c in 2022, the Affiliation of European Companies mentioned, because the business continues to reel from the impact of Western sanctions on Moscow.
- Russia’s overseas ministry mentioned Moscow imposed sanctions on 36 people in reference to the “anti-Russian course” adopted by the UK’s authorities.